FOOD FINDS: Ube, Pinasugbo, Dried Guyabano and Zubuchon Lechon

My foodie cousin recently arrived from her Bohol and Cebu trip and here's what she brought me --- ube, pinasugbo, dried guyabano and Zubuchon lechon. I already tried the lechon last year when one of my food buddy hand-carried it for me but wasn't able to blog it because I forgot to take photos. But the lechon was really quite memorable and I was praying for the day that it will land on my doorstep again.

Bohol House of Ube. I almost did it again. I mean, I (we) almost ate all of it before I realized I haven't taken a photo. You cannot buy this anywhere except in Bohol. For me, this tastes way better than the ones made by the nuns somewhere up North. ;) It's not too sweet also and really tastes like ube or purple yam. The downside is, you are not allowed to hand-carry this if you're riding the airplane; you need to pack this inside your suitcase (maybe) and check it in. Then pray that the cargo is not too hot, otherwise the ube will spoil. Luckily, my cousin's stash didn't. Alleluia!


Pinasugbo. These are dried plantains steeped in molasses and sprinkled with sesame seeds. I haven't had this for a long time but I know that it's a childhood favorite along with otap whenever my mother's friend from Cebu drops by to visit.


Dried Guyabano. Quite interesting since I love dried mangoes. Also, guyabano is rich in vitamin C. Alas, interesting doesn't always mean delicious. I was expecting it to be sour and guyabano-ish but it is more sugar-ish. The pack is still almost full and just sits in the fridge.



Zubuchon Lechon. At last, another encounter with this great tasting lechon. The hogs are raised by the owner of Zubuchon and fed with vegetables so this is the free-range kind (organic) of lechon. The meat itself is not fatty compared with the other lechons. The meat is flavorful and tender and is rubbed with herbs and spices. This is one lechon that doesn't need a liver sauce or dipping sauce. I haven't tasted Zubuchon's fresh from the pit lechon except this frozen variety which is available at the Cebu Airport. But since this tastes great, I'm sure I'll be in pig heaven if that happens. And they also sell chicharon which is to-die-for. No kidding.