Una Fiesta Compleanos Espanol

A Spanish Birthday Feast At Calderon Restaurant

We've always wanted to dine at Calderon: Cocina Tapas y Bebidas but during those times that we go there, it is always full. Maybe because its dinnertime already that's why. And because its my birthday and I've been craving for something new, I wanted to spend my birthday dinner at Calderon with my family.





I arrived first since I came from my birthday lunch with friends at RWM. I'm really not that hungry yet since we had lunch in Mercado but I've been dreaming of paella negra since last year. I haven't tasted it YET and now is my chance because I'm celebrating my birthday. Hehe

I love the brown interiors and the soft muted lights. The wine shelf is also very inspiring. I'll make kulit hubby to build a similar shelf like that at home, too. But instead of wine, will place our books there. Nice idea! ;)


Now I wanted to paint our stairs dark brown, too! And repaint the walls. Hmmmm...


Saw these cute looking Japanese beers.


It was raining outside, heavy downpour. The waiter offered me a bread basket. Haven't had butter for a long time and I can say that I did enjoy my bread and butter. ;)  See related story here.


Hubby and daughter arrived an hour and a half late because of the rain. I was the first customer at Calderon when I arrived and then a group arrived before my family but they opted to stay at the second floor. Haven't seen the second floor area yet. Must-visit-again-soon.

We ordered some gambas since the paella negra takes a bit of time to cook. At least 30 minutes.



Tapas is best paired with wine but since I'm very curious about this cute Japanese beer, I told hubby to order it. I can't drink beer because I'm allergic to malt but upon reading the ingredients on the bottle-- yey, no malt. Yes!

We just ordered a bottle for sharing. The cute owl didn't do much wonders for its tastes. Ang pait! But hubby explained that all beers tasted bitter. Oh, okay. Glad that the waiter filled my glass with ice. In other words, I drank a "diluted" beer. Hahaha. But it was fun, and I'd do it again as long as I know that the ingredients are safe for me to drink.


Paella Negra. A paellera-full of goodness. OMG, its so black! Goodluck to us. Good thing we don't have any plans to go somewhere after this because its a school night.


And it tasted so GOOD. No kidding. Don't mind the toppings because underneath the black rice, there's tons of squid. With or without lemon, its good. Then add some of the cream in the middle- winner! Writing this is torture already. C-R-A-V-I-N-G for Calderon's Paella Negra now. Two thumbs up for the paella negra.

Here's us, looking busog already. :)



Glad to have celebrated my birthday here. Definitely coming back again. :)