Let's Help Build A Better World

When I was a kid, I don't worry about how will I go to school, how will I eat or what will I eat, my health, or how my parents earn money for my allowance. Nor do I worry about my house, the environment, the government. I don't even care about how important the roads and highways were as long as I arrive at my destination. But now that I am a parent, I worry about these things. I worry about what my daughter's world be like in the future.

And I feel that NOW is the time to ACT. Luckily, the place where I live in the city has a very responsive local government so cheers to Mr. Brgy. Chairman. Although not perfect, the people in my community are joining hands to make to make a difference. Garbage have been segregated, plants and vegetables are being planted and harvested in the community (yes, we live in the city), roads and drainage was fixed so as to prevent floods (Ondoy and the Bahagat flood in Metro Manila), additional lamppost and roving tanods were also a great addition to our community thus making everyone safe. Then our community also has an ambulance at our disposal for emergencies. 

But still, I worry. I worry about my daughter's education. I feel that if I don't send her to a good school, she won't receive an excellent education. However, sending her to a good school means that I will have to pay a lot for her school tuition fee. So then, I begin to worry about my job (and that of my hubby) and that if we will not work hard, we won't be able to send our daughter to a good school. Then there's the concern about health and pollution. I worry that the food and vegetables and meat that we are eating are full of preservatives and pesticides and other harmful stuff. Best to buy organic vegetables or grow your own vegetables. Luckily, we have a small garden at home and I've already planted calamansi, ampalaya, tomatoes, lagundi, oregano and aloe vera. I'm planning to plant some more vegetables like okra, pechay, string beans, patola, etc. And to lessen the pollution entering the garden, we've already planted trees outside the yard that partly covers the garden and our home. Then I also worry about climate change and how my community was flooded for the first time by Ondoy, and the another one by Bahagat (moonson rains) last 2012. I believe we should plant more trees, not condominiums and buildings in the metropolis. Even the once lush mountains in the provinces are now almost barren. I cannot imagine my country being a wasteland in the future (year 2075) if we don't act now.

So let us join hands and help build a better world. Please visit the My World link by the United Nations and take time to answer the survey. Thank you. :)


Here's my top 6:

1. A good education
2. Protecting forests, rivers and oceans
3. Action taken on climate change
4. An honest and responsive government
5. Better job opportunities
6. Affordable and nutritious food