Darumaya Japanese Food Center

It took me decades to visit Cartimar in Pasay, but Darumaya made my first visit there memorable.




One can find an array of interesting finds at Darumaya. From food to tea cups. However, I find the prices of the tea cups too expensive. A tea cup costs P135- P220 per piece. I prefer buying from Japanese Surplus stores. On the other hand, I love the food section! I even found preserved "kare umi." Hope I got the name right!


And the items on the last photos are my loot from Darumaya. The Hello Kitty-shaped pasta costs P94/100g pack. Expensive, I know! But its Hello Kitty so its hard to resist. The one in the box is kiddie curry paste. It means its not spicy. Plan to cook make lamb curry soon. The last item is "kare umi," preserved fruit. I'm not really sure what kind of fruit it is but I've tasted it years ago when a friend who's based in Japan sent me some. It crunchy, salty, sour, and sweet at the same time.




I wrote something about "kari'kari ume" before, here's the link -- http://thekitchengoddess.blogspot.com/2006/08/kari-kari-ume-this-is-yummiest-fruit.html .